The Sanctuary monk statue on Gothic column, the body and column are Dolomite Marble composition and the embellishments are crafted from Cornish tin and lead. Claus Sluter, of Haarlem, Holland, influenced this functional sculpture. He was the foremost sculptor of the period around 1400. His chief works were done for the court of Burgundy. The Latin inscription that runs the circumference of the socle reads "Solitarius Locus Sanctus", this transcribes to "Holy Lonely Place"