The historic University Arms Hotel in Cambridge has reopened after a three-year, £80m refurbishment, with 1960s concrete extensions replaced by a classically designed building, by renowned architect John Simpson. Originally built as a coaching inn in 1834, the building now reflects the city’s literary and academic spirit and complements its architectural heritage.
Centrepiece to the redevelopment is a new Neoclassical-inspired grand port-cochere on Regent Street, that creates an impressive covered vehicle entrance, providing total protection from the elements for arriving and departing guests. Here Andy Thornton was responsible for providing three elegant bronze pendant lights, that cleverly highlight the recessed roof space above.
The bespoke pendants were manufactured in our workshops to designs supplied by John Simpson Architects. Each comprise an 850 mm diameter cast bronze bezel with raised pediments, fluted detail and an Egg & Dart inner border. An ornate domed opal-etched glass shade incorporates acanthus leaves with a central cast bronze finial.
The pendants, which are 2m in overall drop, are suspended from three bronze suspension rods to a single linked chain and ornate ceiling rose. The illumination pack includes fluorescent tubes providing 80% of the light output (25600 lumen) to flood the large roof space. It also includes an LED downlighting panel to provide illumination at ground level.
The new portico is a real triumph for the refurbished hotel, part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection, which now heralds the hotel and graciously invites guests through the handsome front doors.